School Law For Educators
This course is designed to provide opportunities for participants to explore the practical application of public school law, including the origin and initial intent of the writers, while recognizing their administrative limitations. Participants examine the constitutional framework and amendments, court systems, and current legal issues, as well as the effect each has on the educational environment. Landmark cases are reviewed and analyzed to develop a cognitive base for legal principles and to improve the administrative management of a school.
topic title goes here
- Analyze selected landmark cases and their effect on education.
- Identify legal research tools available for educators.
- Explain the implications of the Bill of Rights on education today.
- Analyze your state guidelines regarding current educational challenges.
- Explain the intent of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 for K-12 public education.
- Identify federal case law that affects education.
- Analyze the balance of interests regarding the state, teachers, students, and the community.
- Apply progressive steps of teacher dismissal.
- Examine the reasonableness standard in education.
- Discuss the legal and ethical responsibilities of a teacher.
- Identify the authority that a school has over the actions of students.
- Discuss student expectation of privacy in relationship to drug testing.
- Analyze student rights regarding disciplinary actions.
- Identify challenges to current case law based upon new litigation of student rights.
- Identify important legal concepts relating to public school law.
- Analyze the school’s responsibility regarding standard of care in an educational setting.
- Explain tort law and adequate supervision in reference to duty owed to students.
Trace the history of significant special education laws.
- All objectives apply.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.