Introduction to Law, 4th Edition
Joanne B. Hames, De Anza College
Yvonne Ekern, West Valley College
Appropriate for Paralegal Studies, Legal Studies, Pre-Law, and Business ProgramsВ В
Hames and EkernвЂ™s Introduction to Law , 4/e will teachВ students the basic legal concepts related to substantive and procedural law, introduces them to cases, statutes, and the constitution, and develops their legal vocabulary and analytical skills. A new chapter on constitutional law, expanded coverage of employment and environmental law, and information on technology makes this an excellent resource for any Introduction to Law course for all disciplines of study including pre-law, legal studies, and business programs.В Using this text, your students will learn how to develop their own critical-thinking skills, read high-interest cases, expand their legal vocabulary and discuss case law and issues impacting todayвЂ™s legal system.
Introduction to Law presents an overview of the basic procedures and legal principles of the U.S. legal system with a strong emphasis on the practical application of these procedures and principles. The fourth edition is revised to reflect the fact that the law has become of greater interest and relevance to many who have no plans on pursing a law-related career.В Information about law-related careers is now included in appendix material.В
В Hallmark Features:
New to This Edition
The Fourth Edition of Introduction to Law
Feedback from instructors and students who use this text convinces us that the basic organization and features of this textbook are successful. Students especially appreciate the extensive key term definitions in the margin, the interesting cases, and the wide use of common hypothetical cases to explain the application of legal principles. These features remain in the text. However, the law has never been, nor will it ever be, a static entity. Any useful textbook dealing with the law must reflect these changes. As a result, where applicable, the law has been updated in this text. Other changes reflect the changing face of the legal system, as well as our desire to provide students with the following.
В·В В В В В В В A broader view of the nature of law
В·В В В В В В В More practical applications of law to factual situations
В·В В В В В В В More practice in building analytical skills
В·В В В В В В В В An awareness of the global view of law
В·В В В В В В В В Updated information on the current impact of technology in law practice
To accomplish these goals, the fourth edition of Introduction to Law contains the following new features:
- The first three chapters were completely revised so as to present a more logical introduction to the substantive and procedural aspects of the U.S. legal system:
- Chapter 1 is completely revised and now includes a brief historical and philosophical introduction to law as well as a discussion of the ways U.S. laws are categorized.
- Chapter 2 is reorganized and revised so that it now discusses the organization of the federal and state U.S. legal systems.
- Chapter 3 is reorganized and revised so as to present an in depthВ discussion of the court system and overview of the different personnel involved in the legal system.
- Each chapter contains stronger emphasis on the way that legal principles are applied to real-life situations; a new feature labeled as вЂњApplicationвЂќВ is added to each chapter.
- Case summaries:В In addition to case excerpts, brief summaries of cases show how the courts apply basic legal principles.В Case summaries are written without complicated legal terminology that often creates an obstacle to understanding a court decision and are more easily read by those without legal training.
В·В В В В В В В В Each Chapter contains a new Technology Corner, this includes (1) Sites of Interest, (2) a Featured Web Site, and (3) an Around the World Feature
В·В В В В В В В В Each chapter contains a list of cases used in the chapter
В·В В В В В В В В Each chapter contains a list of case summaries included in the chapter
В·В В В В В В В В A new Appendix titled:В The Paralegal Profession and the Law Office
В·В В В В В В В В В Expanded use of tables and charts to clarify legal concepts