Law Enforcement Exploring is a hands-on program open to young men and women who have completed the 6th grade through 20 years old, interested in a career in law enforcement or a related field in the criminal justice system.
The program offers young adults a personal awareness of the criminal justice system through training, practical experiences, competition and other activities. Additionally, the program promotes personal growth through character development, respect for the rule of law, physical fitness, good citizenship and patriotism.
THE MOST POPULAR CAREERS OF INTEREST TO LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPLORERS
- City Law Enforcement Officers
- County Law Enforcement Officers
- State Law Enforcement Officers
- Federal Law Enforcement Officers Special Agents
- Law Enforcement Intelligence Analysts, Forensic Laboratory, Specialists other vital support specialists
Law Enforcement Exploring combines some classroom training with ride-alongs in police vehicles, pistol shooting, community policing, and much more. You get to experience firsthand what it’s like to be an officer of the law.
YOU WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO PARTICIPATE IN:
- National Law Enforcement Exploring Conferences and National Law Enforcement Exploring Leadership Academies
- National Law Enforcement Exploring Pistol Shooting Championship
- Post-sponsored basic, advanced and specialized law enforcement training programs
- Local, state and regional training programs, conferences and competitive events sponsored by certified Law Enforcement Exploring Associations
- Post-sponsored Ride-Along programs in patrol cars and other police conveyance operations such as Marine Patrols and Bike Policing
YOU WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO NETWORK WITH:
- Law Enforcement Explorers across the country and in some cases with young adults in programs similar to Law Enforcement Exploring sponsored by foreign police agencies
- Law enforcement professionals from local, county, state, federal and military organizations
- Judges, prosecutors and other professionals involved with the criminal justice system
- Community leaders, representatives from private and public community organizations, and instructors and professors from educational institutions that offer criminal justice and related programs
LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPLORING OFFERS THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Gain exposure to various criminal justice careers and to have positive interaction with law enforcement professionals.
- Obtain “hands-on” experience and awareness of the criminal justice system, thereby helping Explorers to make an informed decision on a career in law enforcement or a related field.
- Receive comprehensive career-focused training that in many cases qualifies for academic credit (i.e. career education credit).
- Preparation for career-related college degree programs and other advanced education opportunities
- Benefit from interpersonal growth through self-discipline, teamwork, challenging experiences, and high standards of performance and personal conduct.
- Enhanced character development and improved physical and mental fitness.
- Learn responsibility to self and others through leadership opportunities.
- Community service and networking activities by assisting sponsoring agency in a supplementary law enforcement and liaison capacity.
WHEN DO MEETINGS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES TAKE PLACE?
The frequency of meetings, training and other activities is determined by the sponsoring agency for the Law Enforcement Explorer Post. Some Posts conduct meetings and other activities on a weekly basis while others have less frequent participation requirements.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Annual program participation fee is $24. In addition, some Posts require payment of funds in the form of periodic dues or specific fees to support the program, purchase uniforms, etc. Special activities and events such as national conferences and national leadership academies involve registration fees and other costs as determined by the type, duration and location of the event or activity. Individual programs may request an additional program fee and would be determined by the local Explorer Post.
HOW CAN I JOIN?
Participation is easy:
- Determine the law enforcement career or careers in which you are interested.
- Attend a meeting or activity.
- Fill out the Youth Participation Form and pay the annual participation fee.
- Due to the sensitive nature of law enforcement operations, most Law Enforcement Explorer Posts have additional requirements including the successful completion of a background check (no prior arrest record or serious traffic violations), passing an oral interview, maintaining a minimum grade point average, being a person of good conduct and high moral character, being physically fit, etc.
- Click on “Get Involved” above to get started today!
Law Enforcement Career Activity Library
Enhance your learning experience by participating in career specific activities. Take a look!