Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) for Post 9/11 GI Bill
A yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000.00 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
A one time payment of $500 may be payable to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas if they reside in a county with 6 persons or less per square mile (as determined by the most recent decennial census) and either:
1. Physically relocate at least 500 miles to attend an educational institution or
2. Travel by air to physically attend an educational institution if no other land-based transportation exists
Post 9/11 GI Bill BAH/MHA Calculator Type Zip Code of the school or college you’re attending and E-5 with dependents to determine the MHA rate.
Monthly Housing Allowance Payments
The Monthly Housing Allowance is paid at the nearest 10% level once the training time (e.g number of credits) is determined. For instance, if your training time is determined to be 68% as calculated above you will be paid 70% of the applicable housing allowance. If your training time is calculated to be 56% you will be paid 60% of the applicable housing allowance.
Here are some important facts for determining eligibility and individual Post 9/11 GI Bill MHA rates.
Monthly Housing Allowance Facts
- Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) payments are based on the Department of Defense’s Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates for an E-5 with dependents.
- MHA is based on the zip code of the school or college the student is attending.
- August 1 st of each year is the effective date for the adjustment of MHA While BAH rates are adjusted every calendar year and effective on January 1 st the post 9/11 GI Bill MHA is effective at the beginning of the academic year which is set at August 1 st .
- BAH Decreases Adjusted MHA rates typically will NOT be adjusted down (decreased). Service members have individual rate protection against any BAH decrease and the MHA amount will not decrease unless there is a change in school or college or have more than a six-month break in training.
- BAH Increases – Even though BAH increases are effective January 1 st recipient housing allowance stipend will not see an increase until the September payment for training pursued in August.
- There are some exceptions to MHA.
- MHA rates terms are commonly interchanged with Post 9/11 BAH rates terms, they are one and the same.
- The MHA rate for online colleges, schools, or distance learning programs is $805.50. For more information on how to determine your online MHA rate and eligibility click here .
- BAH is paid each month. However, the first payment may not arrive for several months so plan accordingly.
- Students cannot receive over the maximum allowable BAH amount.
- BAH is not paid during winter or summer breaks. Spring Break counts!
- Dropping courses can negatively affect MHA (BAH).