MPA – Master of Public Administration at Rutgers SPAA
Designed for pre-career and in-career students, the master’s degree program in public administration at Rutgers SPAA provides professional competencies in public administration and management and gives students a broad understanding of the field and its relevant issues. Students become competent at defining public problems, analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, developing and communicating creative solutions, and implementing ethical and practical courses of action.
The MPA degree at Rutgers SPAA consists of 42 credits of coursework addressing the contexts and applications of public policy implementation, that is, design, delivery, leadership, management, performance, and results of public and nonprofit sector activity. These sectors provide over 16 million job opportunities in the U.S. alone.
MPA Core Curriculum Areas of Study
Provides understanding of public administration contexts and key professional competencies for public and nonprofit sectors
Examines quantitative and qualitative data methods and research design
Provides foundations in organization and human resources management
Examines financial contexts and budgeting skills
Provides students with the opportunity to utilize what they have learned in the program via a real world project
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Healthcare Administration
- Leadership of Public Organizations
- Nonprofit Management
- Public and Nonprofit Performance Management
- Technology and Information Management
Student Learning Outcomes
Our faculty provides our students with the theoretical underpinnings for public service by focusing on these learning outcomes. Coursework enables students to:
- Lead and manage in public governance;
- Participate and contribute to the policy process;
- Analyze, synthesize, think critically, solve problems, and make decisions;
- Articulate and apply a public service perspective; and
- Communicate and interact productively with a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry.
MPA Dual Degrees
Combine your Master of Public Admistration with another distinguished gradute degree offered by Rutgers University-Newark and earn a dual degree in less time than it would take to earn each separately: