What are N.J.’s top-grossing law firms?
The New Jersey Law Journal has come out with its ranking of the Top 20 law firms in New Jersey, and while there are certainly some big names on the list, there are a few surprises, too.
The New Jersey Law Journal ranked the firms doing business in the state by their New Jersey gross revenue, regardless of where they are based and how much revenue they grossed overall.
That meant some giant firms, such as the international Greenberg Traurig, ranked lower than smaller, but more Jersey-centric ones, such as Morristown-based Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland Perretti. It also meant firms with a larger number of New Jersey lawyers, such as Roseland-based Connell Foley, might rank behind ones with fewer attorneys, such as Hackensack s Cole Schotz.
The top firm was Roseland-based Lowenstein Sandler, which recorded $144.6 million in New Jersey gross revenue, more than half of its total $251.8 million in firmwide gross.
Newark-based McCarter English ranked second, with $106.5 million in New Jersey gross. They were the only two firms to exceed $100 million in New Jersey gross revenue.
Another Newark firm, Gibbons, ranked third, with $85.6 million in New Jersey gross revenue.
The Top 20 firms, with their main New Jersey office and New Jersey and total gross revenues:
- Lowenstein Sandler, Roseland, $144.6M, $251.8M;
- McCarter English, Newark, $106.5M, $233M;
- Gibbons, Newark, $85.6M, $108M;
- Sills Cummis Gross, Newark, $84.9M, $84.9M;
- Fox Rothschild, Lawrenceville, $84.5M, $364.5M;
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney Carpenter, Morristown, $82.2M, $118.5M;
- Archer Greiner, Haddonfield, $72.5M, $87M;
- Chiesa Shahinian Giantomasi, West Orange, $65.6M, $65.6M;
- Cole Schotz, Hackensack, $64.9M, $94.9M;
- Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland Perretti, Morristown, $64.7M, $67.1M;
- Drinker Biddle Reath, Florham Park, $64.3M, $410M;
- Greenberg Traurig, Florham Park, $55.6M, $1.32B;
- Wilentz, Goldman Spitzer, Woodbridge, $53.9M, $58.2M;
- Connell Foley, Roseland, $53.3M, $57.6M;
- Stark Stark, Lawrenceville, $47.1M, $54M;
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith Davis, Woodbridge, $44.8M, $44.8M;
- Day Pitney, Parsippany, $44.5M, $161M;
- Budd Larner, Short Hills, $43M, $43M;
- Porzio, Bromberg Newman, Morristown, $39.7M, $50.9M;
- Bressler, Amery Ross, Florham Park, $37.5M, $80M.
For the New Jersey Law Journal’s report, click here, and to see the Top 20 chart, click here.
For the NJBIZ list of top law firms, click here.